Saturday, August 16, 2014

No te vayas de Zamboanga


"Don't leave Zamboanga."

We had just come home from spending part of our summer in QC last May and I saw this tarp tied to a fence on our way home.

I found out later that our former mayor, and present District 1 representative, Celso Lobregat had launched a campaign in a bid to convince ZamboangueƱos to stay in the city despite the many peace and order problems that have beset us in recent years. Last year's MNLF siege was especially trying.

As someone who was born and bred here, it breaks my heart to realize that I no longer feel safe in my city. Even my parents have predicted that in another ten years or so, few of the old ZamboangueƱo families will probably continue to remain. The local government is making a valiant effort though in trying to regain the people's trust and confidence.

I'm not leaving yet, mi bella ciudad. There may be hope yet for us.

Listening to: No Te Vayas de Zamboanga

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts on this post. Have a good day! :)