Saturday, April 5, 2014

To my son on his graduation from preschool

My dearest Jeolo,

I can still remember how anxious I was weeks before you were to begin preschool. I was afraid you'd cry and beg me to stay with you. To my surprise, I was the one who cried that day as I felt the first strings of your dependence on me get cut as you smilingly kissed me goodbye.

That first year, we struggled together as you tried to learn how draw lines and curves, how to color within the lines, how to spell and write your name, how to interact with other kids your age, and to learn countless other how-tos.

And in a mere three years, you have come very far. Despite having been diagnosed with ADHD when you were five years old, it didn't stop you from growing and flourishing so marvelously.

But it isn't the good grades or your other achievements that make me proudest of you.

When you were in Kinder 1, your teacher recounted to me an experience she had with you.

She had been having a particularly difficult day with your class. A lot of children were very rambunctious and noisy, no one seemed to be listening as she tried to get everyone settled down. Suddenly feeling exhausted, she sat down on her chair and just stared out blankly. Then you approached her and asked, "Teacher Rica, are you okay?" She replied that she wasn't feeling very well. You surprised her when you said, "Let me give you a hug," as you proceeded to put your arms around her waist to hug her. With your chubby arms still around her, you asked, "Tighter?" :D

Teacher Rica told me your concern and your hug made her feel better that day. And it made my heart burst to know that you weren't only sweet and sensitive towards your family but that it extended even to others.

As much as I want you to continue to do well in school, I also hope that your thoughtfulness, sensitivity and innate sweetness will never change. Education can only get you so far but it's your character that will set you apart from others.

Thank you for bringing us so much joy, baby boy. Dada, Liam and I love you so much.


Congratulations, Kuya!


Listening to: Forever Young by Rod Stewart

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts on this post. Have a good day! :)