Thursday, February 20, 2014

My son and ADHD

I've long wanted to write about this particular facet of my life as a mother but since I stopped blogging regularly, it has become harder for me to find that perfect time and mood when everything I want to say seems to just automatically flow from my fingers. Hopefully, I'll be able to start and finish this time around.

Image Credit

My eldest son Jeolo was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder of the combined type in November 2012. If you've read my blog before, there have been many times when I complained about his hyperactivity, which I chalked up to his age, that left me constantly frustrated and exhausted. It only began to cross my mind that his hyperactivity might be something more was when I was able to observe him with other kids in preschool. Then in September 2012, his ninang Reena commented that Jeolo reminded her of her eldest son, who had been diagnosed with ADHD as a kid, and asked if I'd had him evaluated. That finally convinced me to bring him to a neurodevelopmental pediatrician for assessment and that was that.

We enrolled him with an occupational therapist who has, and is, continuing to help him learn strategies in dealing with the challenges of ADHD. I also spoke to his teachers at school after he was diagnosed and they've all been very supportive, allowing him constant breaks so that he can focus when he needs to sit down and do school work. I also made conscious efforts at home to be consistent with house rules, in regulating his diet (NO to sweets and junk food except occasionally) and in providing him with a routine to follow.

Some well-meaning friends have questioned the diagnosis and Jeolo's need for therapy, saying that all kids are hyperactive, impulsive and unfocused and that he would eventually grow out of it. And, yes, maybe he will but the thing is, my husband and I, as parents, didn't want to wait until a teacher or other adults marked him as someone having disciplinary or emotional problems when, in fact, he just doesn't have the ability to control himself. And being a medical professional myself, I know that ignoring signs and symptoms won't make a problem go away. It will only get worse over time and providing early intervention is the best chance for a healthier life.

Jeolo was reevaluated last December, a year after he began therapy and adjustments were made in how we dealt with him at home. And I'm heartened by the fact that he has greatly improved in terms of socializing with other kids, sitting down long enough to complete tasks at school and at home, is able to focus on a task better, and in following instructions. However, there is still much work to be done to address his frustration tolerance, ability to wait for his turn and his nonstop chatter.

I have a lot of work to do, too, in reminding myself that I'm being as good a mother as I can be. Even if I usually feel that I'm not doing enough, I need to keep telling myself that every little thing helps. And on those days that I feel especially overwhelmed, I'm thankful for my husband's support and his unfailing belief in me as well as the realization that what we're doing now will help Jeolo grow up empowered and ready for what life has to offer.

Listening to: Carry On by Fun

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts on this post. Have a good day! :)